As promised, here I am with another post on how to plan a trip.
The mantra is to be organised and planned so as to avoid any last minute hassles.
If you are reading this article you must have figured out a place to be according to your budget. But still you have multiple questions in your mind like which local spots to visit, what to pack and how much will it cost,etc. etc. So, without wasting anytime further, lets begin with a “To Do list”.
- Things to Do: Do a thorough analysis of the place by going through various websites and note down the local spots you would like to cover. Normally I refer to Trip Advisor where you’ll find multiple categories, like flights, hotels, things to do etc. but I mostly refer to Things to Do page.
- What to pack: There are 2 basic rules: Always pack light and When in Rome do as the Romans do. By this I mean pack as much as required so calculate wisely and of course, choose the clothes according to the place you would be visiting. I have seen many people wearing Jeans or suits when on beach. People! Please don’t do that. Just relax and go with the flow. Mostly Asians pack a lot taking in mind we might need this or we might need that. Phew! Girls you won’t need 100s of lipstick on a trip, choose wisely and pack the shades which might go with most of the outfits. Similarly, guys please don’t pack shaving kits as mostly you would get it in the hotel you stay and so on.
- Where to stay: Always book in advance as you don’t want to end up wasting time after reaching the destination in looking for accommodation. I mostly book via Goibibo or Makemytrip. Having said that it doesn’t mean that I haven’t gone on an unplanned trip. But people learn from their mistakes. Once it happened that we went to a small hill station in Maharashtra called Mahabaleshwar. It is just a 2 hours drive from Pune. As you might have got the clue here, we hadn’t done the hotel bookings and it was the first time we were visiting the place. By the time we reached the place, it was already 8 o’clock as we had started late on a Friday evening after returning from office. It was drizzling, and apparently it was the peak season, we couldn’t get any hotel, we almost wasted more than an hour looking for accommodation but couldn’t find anything. The ones which were available were in horrible condition(kind of stinky rooms). After more than an hours struggle we could get the place but it was highly expensive as compared to the amenities of the hotel but as we had to take it since we had no choice. When the next time we visited the same place we made the bookings in advance and we got an amazing place to stay in almost the same price as we had paid the last time. Since then it never happened that we have ever visited a place without prior bookings.
- Excursions: Don’t buy these from the hotel counter where you stay as they tend to sell it at a considerably higher price. Move a little away from your hotel and you’ll find local vendors selling the same excursion packages at a lower cost.
- Prepare a To Do List: Jot down all the points you recall as and when, so you don’t forget a thing.
- Prepare an itinerary: At last but not least prepare an itinerary and trust me once you follow it according to the plan you would feel very comfortable as all would go according to the plan.
Plan out a travel and see the difference yourself.